Risk Management Workshop for Dairy Producers
The Dairy Risk Management Program focuses on developing educations tools to help farmers make better decisions in their business.
The target audience for this risk management workshop include dairy owners, managers and financial personnel. We encourage two people from each dairy to attend, but this is not required.
Time: 9:00 am - 3:30 pm each day
Location: Room 202/203 in Mussehl Hall located on UNL's East Campus. Click here for a map.
Parking: Participants are asked to park in the "C" lot north of the Dental College. Parking passes will be provided the first day of the workshop. Click here for a map.
This workshop is limited to the first 30 people that register due to working hands-on with workshop participants.
Registration fee is $50/person and includes materials, lunch, and refreshments. Registration fees can be mailed in advance to the address below or paid at the door the day of the workshop. Checks should be made to "UNL"
The deadline to register is December 4.Kim Clark, Dairy Extension EducatorUniversity of Nebraska-LincolnPO Box 830908C221 Animal ScienceLincoln, NE 68583-0908
Topics for this two day workshop include:
- Developing dairy business strategic plans
- Discussing the importance of and analyze balance sheets
- Seting up cash-flow and budgeting in the dairy enterprise
- Determining break-even cost and sensitivity
- Discussing transition planning and how to start the process
- Determining the key financial indicators in the dairy business
- Analyzing investments
- Anaylzing different production systems including confinement vs grazing and conventional vs organic
- Analyzing the investment of purchasing milk commission base
- Analyzing the expansion process
About the speaker
Dr. Gonzalo Ferreira is a Dairy Management Extension Specialist in the Department of Dairy at Virginia Tech. After his graduate studies in dairy nutrition at the University of Wisconsin and the Ohio State University, Dr. Ferreira worked in the dairy industry as a consultant.